The short version:
Early-stage venture-backed startup (Techstars Chicago ‘17) looking for a talented account executive to join our fast growing team. You’ll have a unique opportunity to take a sales engine that’s working and help rapidly scale it – and have an integral role in creating a category defining business.
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving startup with a vision to empower all professionals by helping them build better relationships. Our vision is to fix the network gap: the inequality of opportunity driven by not having the right connections. To solve this problem, we’re combining the best practices of the world’s top relationship builders with artificial intelligence.
We’re building a mission-driven team that strives to live out our values every day:
- Diversity of perspective
- Growth (individual and collective)
We’re an ambitious, driven team and we push ourselves to accomplish a lot quickly. In the past couple of years we’ve gone through one of the world’s top accelerators, raised two rounds of venture financing, launched our product, rapidly grown our customer base, and architected a robust set of machine learning models as a core source of competitive advantage. In the process, we’ve been named one of Chicago’s top 50 startups to watch, one of Chicago Inno’s 50 on Fire, a part of the highly selective Google for Startups Black Founders Accelerator and Black Founders Fund. And we’re just getting started!
4Degrees is at an inflection point – we’ve built a product that’s pioneering a new category of software (relationship intelligence), and are rapidly growing. We’re well funded, have hundreds of highly engaged customers, who consistently increase their contract size with us, and are planning with us on how we can take this company into the future. We’ve done this with a scrappy, early-stage team.
The opportunity ahead of us is vast – every business that relies on their relationship network to drive their business has a use case for 4Degrees. To seize that opportunity, we’re looking for talented, entrepreneurial sellers who are excited to help us bring that impact to as many customers as possible, as quickly as possible.
You’ll be handling prospects that reach out to us through inbound channels, and helping guide them through their purchase decision – giving compelling product demonstrations, addressing objections, and engaging decision makers to get to a close. You’ll also be helping us grow our outbound efforts – researching target prospects, engaging them across multiple channels (email, social media, phone), testing and iterating on messaging and timing, and helping to scale the ones that generate the best results.
By joining us, you will play a highly impactful role in re-inventing the way professional relationships are managed and building a rapidly growing category. Along the way, you’ll have an opportunity to get unrivaled exposure to all facets of building a startup, and directly shape the outcomes of 4Degrees and its customers. You’ll have significant potential for growth here – and if you want to build a company of your own after joining us, you’ll get direct mentorship from the founding team and support in doing so!
The impact you’ll make by joining us
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Complete our onboarding process – which will help you ramp up on our company, vision, product, key objectives, and how your role will contribute to all of those!
- Dive deep into understanding our customers – their personas, what they care about, and what triggers motivate them to take action.
- Get familiar with our value propositions and use cases – why our customers choose us, what progress we help them make, and how our features tie back to that progress.
- Perform your first batch of prospect outreach to get in front of potential customers
- Get ‘demo certified’ through a combination of listening to recorded demos, sitting in on live demos, and live practice / coaching.
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Have qualified and closed your first set of customers (across inbound and outbound sourced prospects)
- Booked your first few batches of outbound meetings, and will be experimenting with different approaches to booking more
- Will be independently driving the full sales cycle for your prospects – leading demos, running follow-up playbooks, and managing your own pipeline of clients.
Within 6 months you’ll:
- Consistently meet and / or exceed your quota
- Monitor and work to optimize your sales performance and funnel, alongside your manager and our technology tools
- Participate in interviewing and hiring, as a way to influence team growth and how our values inform our culture
Within 1-2 years, you’ll:
- Help mentor and guide future account executives as they ramp into their roles
- Champion sales initiatives to improve the performance of the sales team (individually and for the collective)
- Help build and shape the future of sales at 4Degrees
- Excited about 4Degrees. You believe in our mission and live our core values.
- Proven sales experience. You’ve successfully sold products (or generated sales qualified leads) as a part of a B2B sales team, and have consistently met or exceeded objectives (quota, meetings set, etc).
- Ambitious. You’re excited about building something new, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and are comfortable with experimentation and risk-taking.
- Bias towards action. You aren’t afraid to figure things out on your own, and would rather connect with a prospect and gather data vs. waiting.
- Curious. You work to deeply understand customers, their workflows, and their objectives to speak their language and translate product value to customer value. You enjoy learning about new industries and roles, and quickly move up the learning curve.
- Strong work ethic. You take pride in working harder and smarter than your competition, and have the discipline to maintain a consistently high volume of outreach to prospective customers
- Highly motivated and results oriented. You are driven by creating impact and winning, and take full ownership of achieving personal and team objectives.
- Collaborative. You work closely with product, design and management to ensure strong execution, and do things outside of your job description to help the team.
Skills you’ll need
- Strong communication ability – as the first contact a customer may have with our company, your ability to concisely communicate our value is critical across channels and mediums, including in person conversations, email, phone calls, and more.
- Organization and time management – with an ability to effectively prioritize work and prospect outreach to meet personal and company goals
- Research – able to use the tools at your disposal (social media, online content, software, etc.) to identify potential customers, effectively personalize your communications, and position our product in the most compelling light.
- Listening – able to effectively understand a prospect’s goals to determine if we are the right fit, and how best to communicate our value to appeal to them.
We’d be really excited if you are
Experienced selling into or working in financial services, real estate, recruiting, or other relationship driven industries.
- Competitive cash+equity compensation based on level of capability
- Unlimited PTO (min. 2 weeks, avg. 3-4)
- Unlimited paid sick leave (mandatory for infectious diseases)
- Employer group health insurance, subsidized 75% by company
- Annual professional development stipend
- Commuter benefits
Want to join us?
Send over a quick note with your resume and a short email you’d use to reach out to a customer about 4Degrees to email@example.com. Our values are critical to us; in your email, please also talk a bit about how these values resonate with you.
While we’re headquartered in Chicago (and may end up getting an office here again one day), we’re excited about candidates that are based anywhere in the U.S. or Canada for this position.
The only way we’ll bridge the network gap is if our team represents all of the backgrounds and perspectives of those it impacts. We care deeply about adding people that contribute to our team from across all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, countries of origin, and more.