The short version:
Early-stage venture-backed startup looking for a customer success manager to help us help our customers get the most out of 4Degrees (and grow their usage of us over time). Over time, this person will have the chance to help build and shape the customer success function at 4Degrees.
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving startup with a vision to empower all professionals by helping them build better relationships. Our vision is to fix the network gap: the inequality of opportunity driven by not having the right connections. To solve this problem, we’re combining the best practices of the world’s top relationship builders with artificial intelligence.
We’re building a mission-driven team that strives to live out our values every day:
- Diversity of perspective
- Growth (individual and collective)
We’re an ambitious, driven team and we push ourselves to accomplish a lot quickly. In the past couple of years we’ve gone through one of the world’s top accelerators, raised two rounds of venture financing, launched our product, rapidly grown our customer base, and architected a robust set of machine learning models as a core source of competitive advantage. In the process, we’ve been named one of Chicago’s top 50 startups to watch, one of Chicago Inno’s 50 on Fire, a part of the highly selective Google for Startups Black Founders Accelerator and Black Founders Fund. And we’re just getting started!
4Degrees is at an inflection point – we’ve built a product that’s pioneering a new category of software (relationship intelligence), and are rapidly growing. We’ve experienced net negative churn (i.e., our customers buy more from us over time) over the life of the company, including during the pandemic.
We’ve done this with a scrappy, early-stage team, with a limited proactive customer success function. But as a relationship-driven company, our relationships with our customers are incredibly important. Now, we’re looking for a customer success manager to help us build and deepen our customer relationships (both monetarily and not)! Your core objective will be to drive our customer success efforts – ensuring our customers are happy, getting the most out of our product, and interested in expanding their usage. To do this, you’ll:
- Help new customers get introduced to 4Degrees and become successful, engaged users (including creating content to help this process scale).
- Regularly collect customer feedback through a combination of regular outreach, 1-to-1 conversations and scaled methods to keep a pulse on sentiment.
- Identifying upsell potential within existing customer accounts, and organizing efforts internally to execute against them.
By joining us, you will play a highly impactful role in re-inventing the way professional relationships are managed and building a rapidly growing category. Along the way, you’ll have an opportunity to get unrivaled exposure to all facets of building the customer success engine of a business, and directly shape the outcomes of 4Degrees and its customers.
The impact you’ll make by joining us
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Complete our onboarding process – which will help you ramp up on our company, vision, product, key objectives, and how your role will contribute to all of those!
- Create your action plan and objectives for the quarter, in collaboration with the CEO, to guide your execution path forward (which will be iterated on over time)
- Review our library of customer conversation notes and external resources to build familiarity with our target customers, their priorities, and their language.
- Join our customer outreach program – including sitting in on your first set of live conversations with existing customers.
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Assume ownership of our customer outreach program and live chat – ensuring that all customers are getting regular engagement (and that we’re learning from them).
- Take over our customer onboarding process, ensuring that new customers are set up for success and long-term stickiness.
- Keep a prioritized list of customer accounts with material upsell potential, along with key initiatives to unlock those opportunities.
- Drive timely resolution of customer issues, in coordination with the product and implementation teams.
- Track and report against KPIs and progress: gross churn, net churn, accounts needing attention, and upsell potential captured.
Within 6 months you’ll:
- Coordinate product education efforts and decrease time / effort to adoption for new customers and new features.
- Build out our helpdesk content library to help customers easily answer their most common questions in a self-service manner.
- Lead product education efforts and decrease time / effort to adoption for new customers and new features.
- Proactively identify and map upsell opportunities, key stakeholders, what initiatives will drive them forward, and champion them internally
Within 1-2 years, you’ll:
- Build out a customer success team to support you as the company grows, and as we determine which skillsets to double down on
- Become an internal expert on our existing customers, how they use us, and areas where we can create more value for them
- Drive the identification of new products and services and help shape them (alongside the product team)
- Excited about the 4Degrees mission and believes in our core values
- Highly responsive – you pride yourself on being the go to person that customers can engage with to get robust, thoughtful support quickly
- Proactive, with a strong bias towards action – you prefer to rapidly move from identifying a problem to taking action to solve it
- Possesses high levels of customer empathy, and is driven by the opportunity to work with customers and help them get the most out of their tools
- Enjoys identifying customer issues and opportunities and working with the rest of the team to solve them
- Thrives in creating structure in complex environments
Skills you’ll need
- Experience interfacing with and empathizing with customers
- Ability to facilitate meetings with stakeholders of various levels of professional seniority
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management capabilities (organizing and prioritizing lists, assigning tasks, and ensuring follow-through)
We’d be really excited if you are
- Are experienced with customer success in a SaaS environment – you’ve become an expert on the ins and outs of a product, customer use cases, training new users, and engaging with software development teams
- Have had a quota for prior account management or customer service roles
- Experienced with generating and acting on data-based reports
- Competitive cash+equity compensation based on level of capability
- Unlimited PTO (min. 2 weeks, avg. 3-4)
- Unlimited paid sick leave (mandatory for infectious diseases)
- Employer group health insurance, subsidized 75% by company
- Annual professional development stipend
- Commuter benefits
Want to join us?
Send over a quick note with your resume and thoughts on why this role is exciting to you to email@example.com. Our values are critical to us; in your email, please also talk a bit about how these values resonate with you.
Remote applications are welcome – but we’ll only consider those with significant overlap with U.S. Central working hours.
We care deeply about adding people that contribute to our team from across all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, countries of origin, and more.