The short version
Early-stage venture-backed startup (Techstars Chicago ‘17) looking for a talented sales development representative to join our fast growing team. This is a unique opportunity to work directly with the CEO as the first sales development rep, and have an integral role in creating a category defining business with a meaningful impact on top-line revenue growth.
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving startup with a vision to empower all professionals by helping them build better relationships. To do this, we’re combining the best practices of the world’s top relationship builders with artificial intelligence.
We’re building a mission-driven team that strives to live out our values every day:
- Diversity of perspective
- Growth (individual and collective)
We’re an ambitious, driven team and we push ourselves to accomplish a lot quickly. In the past 24 months, we’ve been accepted to and graduated from one of the world’s top accelerators, raised a round of venture financing from world class investors, launched our product, rapidly grown our customer base, and architected a robust set of machine learning models as a core source of competitive advantage. In the process, we’ve been named one of Chicago’s top 50 startups to watch – and we plan on giving the world even more to watch in year 2 and beyond!
What your role will be
We’re looking for a talented, entrepreneurial sales development representative to help us continue to rapidly scale 4Degrees. Your core objective will be to connect and nurture prospects in our target industries, and transition that engagement into sales conversations and demos. As the first SDR, you’ll be building and executing our sales development playbook from scratch alongside our CEO. You’ll be researching target prospects, engaging them across multiple channels (email, social media, phone), testing and iterating on messaging and timing, and helping to scale the ones that generate the best results.
By joining us, you will play a highly impactful role in re-inventing the way professional relationships are managed and building a rapidly growing category. Along the way, you’ll have an opportunity to get unrivaled exposure to all facets of building a go-to-market engine of a business, and directly shape the outcomes of 4Degrees and its customers. Over time, your responsibilities will grow to encompass the full sales cycle (including closing customers), with significant potential for growth within our organization.
- Excited about 4Degrees. You believe in our mission and live our core values.
- Proven sales experience. You’ve successfully sold products (or generated sales qualified leads) as a part of a B2B sales team, and have consistently met or exceeded objectives (quota, meetings set, etc).
- Ambitious. You’re excited about building something new, thrive in a fast-paced environment, and are comfortable with experimentation and risk-taking.
- Bias towards action. You aren’t afraid to figure things out on your own, and would rather connect with a prospect and gather data vs. waiting.
- Curious. You work to deeply understand customers, their workflows, and their objectives to speak their language and translate product value to customer value. You enjoy learning about new industries and roles, and quickly move up the learning curve.
- Strong work ethic. You take pride in working harder and smarter than your competition, and have the discipline to maintain a consistently high volume of outreach to prospective customers
- Highly motivated and results oriented. You are driven by creating impact and winning, and take full ownership of achieving personal and team objectives.
- Collaborative. You work closely with product, design and management to ensure strong execution, and do things outside of your job description to help the team.
Skills you’ll need
- Strong communication ability – as the first contact a customer may have with our company, your ability to concisely communicate our value is critical across channels and mediums, including in person conversations, email, phone calls, and more.
- Organization and time management – with an ability to effectively prioritize work and prospect outreach to meet personal and company goals
- Research – able to use the tools at your disposal (social media, online content, software, etc.) to identify potential customers, effectively personalize your communications, and position our product in the most compelling light.
- Listening – able to effectively understand a prospect’s goals to determine if we are the right fit, and how best to communicate our value to appeal to them
We’d be really excited if you are
- Experienced selling into or working in financial services, real estate, recruiting, or other relationship driven industries
Want to join us?
Send over a quick note with your resume and a short email you’d use to reach out to a customer about 4Degrees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our values are critical to us; in your email, please also talk a bit about how these values resonate with you.
This is an on-site position in Chicago, IL.
The only way we’ll bridge the network gap is if our team represents all of the backgrounds and perspectives of those it impacts. We care deeply about adding people that contribute to our team from across all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, countries of origin, and more.