The short version
Early-stage venture-backed startup looking for an implementation engineer experienced with data structures and manipulation to help set up our customers for success on the 4Degrees platform.
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving startup with a vision to empower all professionals by helping them build better relationships. We’re building a mission-driven team that strives to live out our values every day:
- Diversity of perspective
- Growth (individual and collective)
We’re an ambitious, driven team and we push ourselves to accomplish a lot quickly. In the past couple of years we’ve gone through one of the world’s top accelerators, raised two rounds of venture financing, launched our product, rapidly grown our customer base, and architected a robust set of machine learning models as a core source of competitive advantage. In the process, we’ve been named one of Chicago’s top 50 startups to watch, one of Chicago Inno’s 50 on Fire, a part of the highly selective Google for Startups Black Founders Accelerator and Black Founders Fund.
The opportunity ahead of us is vast – every business that relies on their relationship network to drive their business has a use case for 4Degrees.
To seize that opportunity, we’re looking for an experienced back-end / data engineer to help build the core 4Degrees platform. You’ll develop and use a versatile set of skills: customer interaction to understand implementation requirements, data mapping and architecture to transition customers to our platform, and solid Python skills to perform uploads and productize implementation tools.
You will use your top-notch attention to detail in combination with strong technical skills to perform data migrations for our customers coming on to the platform. Over time, you will build out tools that will help standardize this process for a diverse array of types of data and environments.
Along the way, you’ll have an opportunity to get unrivaled exposure to all facets of building a startup, and directly shape the outcomes of 4Degrees and its customers. And if you want to build a company of your own after joining us, you’ll get direct mentorship from the founding team and support in doing so!
The impact you’ll make by joining us
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Complete our onboarding process – which will help you ramp up on our company, vision, product, key objectives, and how your role will contribute to all of those!
- Dive deep into our product development process and understand how we go from concept to design to implementation
- Learn our technical stack and apply development patterns throughout your work
- Join our customer outreach program – including sitting in on your first set of live conversations with existing customers.
- Begin to sit in on implementation conversations with customers – and assist in getting our newest customers set up for success
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Assume ownership of a quarterly roadmap project, which will enable you to drive the development of new functionality to enable smoother implementations for our customers
- Drive timely resolution of customer issues, in coordination with the customer success and engineering teams.
- Lead implementation conversations with new customers, with context from the go-to-market team
- Scope and execute resulting implementation projects and development action items, with support from the existing implementation team
Within 6 months you’ll:
- Understand the product at scale and be able to provide input to improve our technical systems and tools
- Independently run implementation conversations with customers, and independently scope and execute resulting action items and project timelines
- Be comfortable navigating our stack and infrastructure
- Participate in interviewing and hiring, as a way to influence team growth and how our values inform our culture
Within 1-2 years, you’ll:
- Champion new processes and tools to optimize the implementation experience (for our customers and our internal efforts)
- Own the implementation function at 4Degrees – including running all implementation conversations, development work, and customer communications.
- Help build and shape the future of engineering at 4Degrees
- Excited about the 4Degrees mission and believes in our core values
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is comfortable with experimentation and risk-taking
- Driven by the opportunity to create impact, and takes full ownership of achieving personal and team objectives
- Motivated to explore the potential for technology to augment people’s ability to form and strengthen professional relationships
- Challenges existing industry best practices and takes inspiration from disparate sources to build a groundbreaking product
- Collaborative mindset – recognizing that most great outcomes are accomplished by teams, not individuals
Skills you’ll need
- Proficiency with data structures and manipulation
- Proficiency with general Python development, particularly interacting with databases
- Comfort interacting with customers to determine requirements
Skills that aren’t required, but we’d be really excited if you have
- Experience building out administrative tools for data transition / manipulation
- Experience identifying and implementing performance improvements for Python applications
- Competitive cash+equity compensation based on level of capability
- Unlimited PTO (min. 2 weeks, avg. 3-4)
- Unlimited paid sick leave (mandatory for infectious diseases)
- Employer group health insurance, subsidized 75% by company
- Annual professional development stipend
- Commuter benefits
Want to join us?
Send over a quick note with your resume, links to project examples, and thoughts on why this role is exciting to you to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our values are critical to us; in your email, please also talk a bit about how these values resonate with you.
Remote applications are welcome – but we’ll only consider those with significant overlap with U.S. Central working hours
We care deeply about adding people that contribute to our team from across all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, countries of origin, and more.