The short version
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving startup with a vision to empower all professionals by helping them build better relationships. We’re building a mission-driven team that strives to live out our values every day:
- Diversity of perspective
- Growth (individual and collective)
We’re an ambitious, driven team and we push ourselves to accomplish a lot quickly. In the past couple of years we’ve gone through one of the world’s top accelerators, raised two rounds of venture financing, launched our product, rapidly grown our customer base, and architected a robust set of machine learning models as a core source of competitive advantage. In the process, we’ve been named one of Chicago’s top 50 startups to watch, one of Chicago Inno’s 50 on Fire, a part of the highly selective Google for Startups Black Founders Accelerator and Black Founders Fund.
The opportunity ahead of us is vast – every business that relies on their relationship network to drive their business has a use case for 4Degrees.
One of our product principles is ubiquity – your role will be a key driver of achieving that principle. You will use your top-notch attention to detail in combination with strong technical skills to make our relationship intelligence capabilities available wherever customers do relationship oriented work – on other company websites, in other software products, or on the go between meetings.
Along the way, you’ll have an opportunity to get unrivaled exposure to all facets of building a startup, and directly shape the outcomes of 4Degrees and its customers. And if you want to build a company of your own after joining us, you’ll get direct mentorship from the founding team and support in doing so!
The impact you’ll make by joining us
Within 1 month you’ll:
- Complete our onboarding process – which will help you ramp up on our company, vision, product, key objectives, and how your role will contribute to all of those!
- Dive deep into our product development process and understand how we go from concept to design to implementation
- Learn our technical stack and apply development patterns throughout your work
- Join our customer outreach program – including sitting in on your first set of live conversations with existing customers.
- Push your first small feature into production, alongside your first batch of user experience improvements
Within 3 months you’ll:
- Assume ownership of a quarterly roadmap project (with support from the existing engineering team), which will enable you to drive the development of a new meaningful feature to unlock value for our customers
- Drive timely resolution of any emergent customer issues related to the parts of the 4Degrees application you work on
- Be involved in our roadmap planning process, and use your emerging knowledge of our product and customer base to help suggest areas of focus going forward
Within 6 months you’ll:
- Understand the product at scale and be able to provide input to improve our technical systems and tools
- Independently scope and execute multiple quarterly roadmap projects related to our Outlook add-in, Chrome extension, and mobile applications
- Participate in interviewing and hiring, as a way to influence team growth and how our values inform our culture
Within 1-2 years, you’ll:
- Champion new processes and tools to optimize development of our mobile app and extension (for our customers and our internal efforts)
- Own the engineering of our mobile app, Chrome extension, and Outlook add-in at 4Degrees – including engaging with design on feature development and experience improvments, and hiring other engineers to work with you to execute.
- Help build and shape the future of engineering at 4Degrees beyond the mobile app and extensions – influencing how the function and company operates as a whole.
- Excited about the 4Degrees mission and believes in our core values
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is comfortable with experimentation and risk-taking
- Driven by the opportunity to create impact, and takes full ownership of achieving personal and team objectives
- Motivated to explore the potential for technology to augment people’s ability to form and strengthen professional relationships
- Challenges existing industry best practices and takes inspiration from disparate sources to build a groundbreaking product
- Collaborative mindset – recognizing that most great outcomes are accomplished by teams, not individuals
Skills you’ll need
- Proficiency with React Native development for both iOS and Android
- Experience developing across multiple platforms (mobile app, web app, browser extension)
Skills that aren’t required, but we’d be really excited if you have
- Experience with database architecture
- Experience with offline sync systems
- Familiarity with Python development (our back-end for our web application is written in Python)
- Competitive cash+equity compensation based on level of capability
- Unlimited PTO (min. 2 weeks, avg. 3-4)
- Unlimited paid sick leave (mandatory for infectious diseases)
- Employer group health insurance, subsidized 75% by company
- Annual professional development stipend
Want to join us?
Send over a quick note with your resume, links to project examples, and thoughts on why this role is exciting to you to email@example.com. Our values are critical to us; in your email, please also talk a bit about how these values resonate with you.
Remote applications are welcome – but we’ll only consider those with significant overlap with U.S. Central working hours.
We care deeply about adding people that contribute to our team from across all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, countries of origin, and more.