The short version:
Who we are
We’re a fast-moving startup with a vision to empower all professionals by helping them build better relationships. Our vision is to fix the network gap: the inequality of opportunity driven by not having the right connections. To solve this problem, we’re combining the best practices of the world’s top relationship builders with artificial intelligence.
We’re building a mission-driven team that strives to live out our values every day:
- Diversity of perspective
- Growth (individual and collective)
We’re an ambitious, driven team and we push ourselves to accomplish a lot quickly. In the past couple of years we’ve gone through one of the world’s top accelerators, raised two rounds of venture financing, launched our product, rapidly grown our customer base, and architected a robust set of machine learning models as a core source of competitive advantage. In the process, we’ve been named one of Chicago’s top 19 startups to watch – and we plan on giving the world even more to watch in the years to come!
What your role will be
We’re looking for an experienced full stack engineer to help build the core 4Degrees platform. You’ll build and use a versatile set of skills: switching between tasks like rolling out major new functionality, diagnosing and fixing bugs, and playing support for other front-end or back-end engineers.
You’ll combine a bias to action with a passion for having an impact to deliver new, innovative solutions to our customers. We’re building an industry-defining company that requires entirely new approaches; you’ll be a core part of that effort and will be comfortable experimenting, learning, and expanding the scope of what’s possible.
- Excited about the 4Degrees mission and believes in our core values
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment, and is comfortable with experimentation and risk-taking
- Driven by the opportunity to create impact, and takes full ownership of achieving personal and team objectives
- Motivated to explore the potential for technology to augment people’s ability to form and strengthen professional relationships
- Challenges existing industry best practices and takes inspiration from disparate sources to build a groundbreaking product
- Collaborative mindset – recognizing that most great outcomes are accomplished by teams, not individuals
Skills you’ll need
- Proficiency with back-end programming (Python preferred, but we can train you if you’re good with Ruby, Node, PHP, etc.)
- Comfort with plain SQL and an ORM
We’d be really excited if you are
- Experienced with mobile development, particularly using React Native
- Experienced with the Flask web framework
- Experienced with machine learning and/or statistical analysis
- Competitive cash+equity compensation based on level of capability
- Unlimited PTO (min. 2 weeks, avg. 3-4)
- Unlimited paid sick leave (mandatory for infectuous diseases)
- Employer group health insurance, subsidized 50% by company
- Annual professional development stipend
- Commuter benefits
Want to join us?
Send over a quick note with your resume, links to project examples, and thoughts on why this role is exciting to you to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our values are critical to us; in your email, please also talk a bit about how these values resonate with you.
This is an on-site position in Chicago, IL.
The only way we’ll bridge the network gap is if our team represents all of the backgrounds and perspectives of those it impacts. We care deeply about adding people that contribute to our team from across all races, ethnicities, religions, ages, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, countries of origin, and more.